Thursday 7 January 2010

THE FROZEN NORTH

It was my birthday on the 6th and usually after New Year Joe and I take a few days away in London, but this year we decided to go to York for a change.  It was very cold when we arrived on January 3rd and snow was already around!

Sunday we met up with friends Sue and Andy who are now living in N. Yorkshire.  We haven’t seen Sue and Andy for several years so it was lovely to catch up over a pub meal and a few drinks. 

York January 2010

Sue and I we first met in January 1975 when we both started our Nursing careers in the QARNNS at RNH Stonehouse Plymouth.  We don’t see each other very often but we still keep in touch.

Monday we had planned nothing specific but while away a few hours wandering about York shopping and stopping off occasionally for a drink.

York January 2010 

View from hotel window Tuesday morning brrrrrrrrrrrr!

 
York January 2010 

View of the Castle Museum from our hotel window brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr again!!!

York January 2010

At watering stop at Cafe Nero York to have hot chocolate to warm us up!!!!! 

Joe’s feet were frozen!!

York January 2010

View from Lendal bridge Tuesday lunchtime as we walked to the NRM (National Railway Museum) at York.  A third brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !!!!!

We then spent an afternoon at the Railway Museum it was a lovely museum loads to see and interactive & in the warm!!!

On our way back to the Hotel I stopped at Betty’s famous in these parts for afternoon tea and wonderful pastries and baking.  I bought a Yorkshire Curd tart and if you have never tasted it you don’t know what you are missing it is truly delicious

Wednesday we woke up to more snow and –7oC and did wonder whether we would get back home or whether we might have to stay for another night in York!  But we decided after listening to the news & checking out the National Road Agency website that we would brave the weather and return to Derby.  The A64, M18 and the M1 were remarkably quiet I think everyone had stayed at home as advised,  following the advice only to venture out if your journey was really necessary.

So we arrived back in Derby around 2pm yesterday!!

 
 

4 comments:

Karen said...

Sounds and looks like you had a wonderful time.

I'm so sorry I missed your birthday what a naughty friend I am. Hope you had a wonderful time.

Love Karen x

anndees said...

Hi Lesley, I`m glad you had a good time in York, My Hubby and I went there for our anniversary in Dec and we too went to Betty`s but we had to wait for 45mins!!!!
See you soon. Anne x

Chicken lover said...

Lesley

lovely city and full of ghosts too!
Jx

Jackie said...

Wow Lesley, you do have some fab holidays. Belated Happy Birthday, couldn't send you a card because you aint on the Dabblers list!
I was married to a Yorkshireman for 21 years but I have never heard of Yorkshire curd tart and I am intrigued!
Jackie xx