Saturday 1 November 2014

I made it. . . . . .

Well I was definitely up with the lark this morning so that we could catch the London train at 7am!!!  The journey was really swift only 1.5 hours.

I'd had lots off feed back from FB about station closure and barricades up around the Tower of London. But when we arrived at 9 it was relatively quiet and we had no problem getting a good look at the poppies. We strolled round the Tower taking in magnificence of the Blood swept lands and seas of red, and what a magnificent piece of living art it is.  So very moving.  I knew there would be thousands of ceramic poppies planted around the moat but it's not til you see it that you realise just how many.  

A very dear friend of mine asked me to think and remember her Uncle who died when HMS Hawke went down during WW I whilst I was there and this I did.





I also filed past where the poppies originally exited the wall by which time it was getting very busy.  But I'm glad I took the time to do it as its a once in a lifetime event.



So pleased to have come and to think about all those British and Commonwealth service personnel who gave their lives also in WWI.  Not many people are aware but there were very many women who were nurses who also died in this conflict: and also  to those service personnel who have died since in other conflict .  So very proud to be British.

Lesley x

1 comment:

Jackie said...

I am so jealous Lesley, I would dearly love to go and them in person but it is not to be. Wonderful photographs :o)
Jackie xx